Monday, October 27, 2014

Pattern tester

Yes, I have become one, for Iowa Star Quilts.

This is a top I made late last spring for Cynthie. It's called Fenced in Bears and was much fun to make. I reversed the pattern for my top so the bear paws are light in my version, I think this would be a beautiful quilt in scrappy one color with light background.


I quilted it before the retreat and bound it by bringing the back over to the front. I've never done that before and am not sure I'll ever do it again.


Shortly before I quilted it my mother gave me this beautiful star fabric she found at Good Will. It had been a table topper in it's former life and fit just perfectly, there were maybe 1/2" scraps left after I was done sewing the binding down.


BUT, because the stars are painted on the fabric pushing the quilt around under the needle while quilting was unbelievable difficult. It was like pushing a baby stroller with the breaks on. I learned my lesson and will never use a painted fabric as backing again.

This quilt used up a lot of my 2 1/2" strips and squares, but somehow the box never empties.


                      Sunna.





2 comments:

  1. What a striking quilt. I love that you used lots of colourful scraps to make your version of the pattern. You are right that the scrap box never empties. Well done for quilting through the stars even though they were like pushing a stroller with the brakes on, that is such a great description!

    ReplyDelete